40K Tactics: USR’s That Now Confer to the Unit

There are some game changers in here. This is a list of USRs that confer on to a unit that has at least one model with the ability.

I compiled this list to help people get used to some of the new combinations they will be seeing.

ATSKNF (HUGE!)

Slow and Purposeful (Ghaz with Lootas can now move, shoot and assault)

Acute Senses (Wolves attached to a unit can reroll outflank, not bad in a blob with Al’Rahem!)

Counter Attack (Again, think wolves) (Thanks to Sean, this one doesn’t confer onto the squad!)

Crusader

Fearless (HUGE!!!!!!)

Hit and Run (Khan is a boss)

Infiltrate (Think about what you can do with this, units can get a big boost up field) (So, you can infiltrate in a Transport now, but if an IC doesn’t have infiltrate and is with a unit, he can only outflank with them but not infiltrate. However, if he has infiltrate, he confers it onto the squad and Dedicated Transports).

Monster Hunter

Move Through Cover

Night Vision (Dark Eldar/Eldar Combo)

Outflank

Preferred Enemy (Thanks JoeDrache)

Scout

Shrouded

Skilled Rider

Stealth

Stubborn

Tank Hunters (this is pretty huge, too)

What are some of the uses you guys can think of with this? My mind is going bananas with all of the combinations that this produces.

34 Responses to “40K Tactics: USR’s That Now Confer to the Unit”

1. joe drache July 9, 2012 4:20 pm #

you forgot the best one- preferred enemy!
    destroyer lord with deathmarks- wound on 2’s reroll 1s

Reecius July 9, 2012 7:24 pm #

Yes I did, doh! Thanks for the correction, I forgot to add it.

2. jawn July 9, 2012 6:39 pm #

flayed ones with the hq who can take over a transport.

Reecius July 9, 2012 7:25 pm #

Anrakyr, yeah, not bad. But, they can’t infiltrate with the IC, unfortunately.

3. Hulksmash July 9, 2012 6:42 pm #

Forget Ghaz! For his points you can get two warlords to give you two of the most mobile firepower squads in the game (dice dependent).

Also don’t forget Hit-n-Run Daemonettes & Mounted Daemonettes with their heralds.

Shrike Infiltrating Ogryns or Blob Squads w/Stealth (Commissar Lord)

Counter-Attack & Outflank Wolf Guard Leader w/Blob Squad w/Stealth Commisar Lord

Slow & Purposeful Chaos Havocs w/Nurgle Heralds (says allies can’t join daemon units. Not that their IC’s can’t join ours.

I’m sure there are more 🙂

Reecius July 9, 2012 7:26 pm #

Ghaz was just the first that came to mind =) Bigmeks are much cheaper.

Daemonettes yeah, all day!

Yeah, some of those combos we hadn’t even thought of yet, soooooo many layered, crazy combos now, it’s nuts!

• Corey Wilke July 10, 2012 7:48 am #

Misconception here… Mega armor does not confer slow and purposeful, ork weapons are assault and mega armor always moves as if in difficult terrain. Small difference but huge now worth sixth.

Reecius July 10, 2012 11:35 am #

Where are you reading that Mega Armor doesn’t confer S&P? I checked the FAQ and didn’t see it, did I miss it?

• Corey Wilke July 10, 2012 12:39 pm

My ork book! Mega armor never has given s&p always was just “moves as if in difficult terrain”

Reecius July 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Really? Wow, mine literally says: “A model wearing Mega Armor has the Slow and Purposeful special rule.” pg.39

• Corey Wilke July 10, 2012 7:24 pm

That will teach me to believe my memory… I stand corrected sir!

Move along nothing to see here except an old man with failing memory :). I was able to find the rule I thought it had in the third Ed ork book on page 35…

Reecius July 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Hahaha, no worries! I get rules wrong all the time and I have the advantage of being asked roughly a million rules questions a day at our store. It happens to all of us.

4. sean July 9, 2012 6:55 pm #

counter attack is one of these that doesnt transfer over to the squad. The first sentence says that if one person has the rule you roll for it. But the second half says then everyone in the unit that has the rule gets +1 attack.

Reecius July 9, 2012 7:02 pm #

Ah, thanks for the correction!

5. Yeeman July 9, 2012 7:17 pm #

Too bad IC’s cant join squads of Infiltrators and Outflank or Infiltrate. Mandrakes would be worth it with a Haemonculus attached.

Reecius July 9, 2012 7:23 pm #

Yeah, I agree, that would have been great, or at least playable.

6. Gargh July 9, 2012 9:39 pm #

Shrouded, Stealth, and Move Through Cover = any HQ with Harlequins can enjoy a 2+ cover save pretty easily. And the whole unit can Hit and Run too…

For the Jetbike alternative, a Farseer or Autarch with Shining Spears gets a 3 or 4+ jink save and doesn’t worry about Dangerous Terrain from Skilled Rider, and can Hit and Run…

Reecius July 10, 2012 3:00 pm #

Ooh, I hadn’t thought about Shinning Spears, nice one! Makes them playable.

Yeah, the Harlie combos we’ve found to be insane.

7. Plague Marine July 10, 2012 4:07 am #

So this means that my Tau team leaders with blacksun filter give nightfight to the whole squad? Hallelujah – you can keep your Acute Senses 🙂

Reecius July 10, 2012 11:36 am #

hahah, right? Tau got a BIG boost!

8. puretide July 10, 2012 12:02 pm #

you can also basically run a tau stealth army which everything has a 2+ cover save in any terrain or a 4+ out in the open playing to try running a squad or 2 of 6 stealth suits with 12 gun drones 😛

Reecius July 10, 2012 3:06 pm #

Oooh, do tell how you pull that one off? How do you get the 2+ on the units? I see it with Stealth Suits, but not the others.

9. puretide July 10, 2012 4:10 pm #

Commander shadowsun as your Hq she and her drones have stealth field generators or a shas’o-shas’el attached to a stealth squad, sniper drone teams, DH-6 remora drone fighters.
    Hide the fire warriors or keep them in reserves as long as possible or when shadowsun is without her drones she becomes independent character same as commander r’alai so they could join the fire warriors to grant the ability.

But I do recommand bringing broadsides and pathfinders but you don’t need to.

Reecius July 10, 2012 5:17 pm #

Damn, that’s quite creative, nice one! That would be brutal.

I think Tau got a big boost this edition, and it is cool to see some new life injected into them. Thanks for pointing that out!

10. puretide July 10, 2012 8:09 pm #

same here I believe they have got a big boost which is always well come and with allies this list can become more deadly with eldar doing fortune on them.

you guys do a good job with your battle reports and podcast always listen and watch them makes the hobby more enjoyable keep it up.

Reecius July 10, 2012 9:45 pm #

Thanks! We’re glad you like it.

As for Fortune, it only works on Eldar units. The only way you can Fortune a unit of Tau is to cast Fortune on the Farseer and then have him join a unit. Even so, it only lasts for a turn.

• Puretide July 11, 2012 7:31 am #

Ye I know misread precognition it only works on the psyker and not the squad.

also tau with preferred enemy is an army you wouldn’t want to fight making them BS5 and most the time need 2’s to wound.

Reecius July 11, 2012 10:38 am #

Yeah, Tau with preferred Enemy is gross! Tau got such a boost in the new rules, I am really curious to see the craziness people pull out with this!

11. J4ck_Fr0st July 11, 2012 1:14 am #

Destroyer lord w/ Sempiternal and MSS in a squad of 6 wraiths with whip coils. They get preferred enemy from him, and they’re all fearless jump infantry, so 6 S6 and 1 S5 HoW attacks if they use it to charge, and then 24 S6 rending attacks with PE, plus the warscythe. It absolutely steamrolls 90% of the things it touches. The wraiths and D-lord almost always wound on 2’s, and you get to reroll 1’s.

Reecius July 11, 2012 10:40 am #

Yeah, that is a gnarly combo, for sure. I was thinking a D-Lord (haha, sounds so much like we are saying Douche Lord!) and a brick of 20 warriors. That is nasty with Preferred Enemy and it helps shore up there weaknesses in HtH.

• J4ck_Fr0st July 11, 2012 12:44 pm #

True – makes them a great tarpit with fearless, I just feel like his offensive capability is wasted in the squad. It had occurred to me, though. You coming to the NOVA open, Reece?

Reecius July 11, 2012 2:10 pm #

Unfortunately, no. We’re getting ready to move into a bigger store here in the near future, so we don’t have any extra dough. I’m bummed, I really want to go check it out.

• J4ck_Fr0st July 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Ah, that’s a shame – was looking forward to meeting you and some of the other faces in the blogosphere. I know how it is, though – I live in NOVA and would make it to the BAO if I had, you know, ten gazillion dollars to travel on.

12. James March 1, 2014 2:41 pm #

Is there a link to an official GW site with USR’s That Now Confer to the Unit?