It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Answer to screamer star!?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 pm 

Answer to screamer star, and/or allied detachment.
Ultramarines, aegis w/ quad gun. 10 man scout sniper squad w/ SGT Telion. All Telion shots are "precision shots" put him on the quad gun that ignores cover. Combat squad the scouts, but put them in line of sight of Telion, to kill keeper of secrets or be bate for the star. With Ultramarines chapter tactics giving you a few re-roles. You should most likely be able to kill keeper of secrets then the star. AND you could always take Tigurius for added security. What do you all think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Answer to screamer star!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 am 

You can deal with the star by tar pitting it or unboxing the pieces that make it work. Those pieces are forewarning, the grimoire, and to a lesser extent, rerolls (typically fom fateweaver) Your targets will depend on where your opponent places these pieces. I've seen the grimoire bothin the the star and outside of it and the model(s) with forewarning could be anywhere.

Your proposal is to snipe out those key models which make the combo work. While this is a good plan, I think you might be light on firepower to really do it fast enough. Your opponent can also counter by hiding those support pieces which are vulnerable out of line of sight of your static snipers. I say give it a try and see how it works but I think you might be light. How does your opponent deploy his star? How many different pieces and where does he put them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am 

It's pretty hard to snipe out key models when those key models tend to have a rerollable 2++ save.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24 pm 

Well keep in mind that the Grimoire doesn't affect the user itself. So the actual model with the Grimoire "only" has a 4++, rerolling 1's. The bigger problem is that the Herald can still Look-Out-Sir the wounds. You're relying on them failing a 2+, followed by a 4+ re-rolling 1's...twice.
Granted, that's way more likely than wounding the other models. Some quick mathhammer says that Telion has roughly a 22.5% chance of wounding the Grimoire Herald every time he shoots the Quad Gun.

If you're taking Telion (Ultramarines), I think your better option is to bring Tigerius and roll for nasty psychic powers. Misfortune essentially turns their save into (mathematically) a 2++. Still terrifying but you can feasibly kill it.
One of the best psychic powers against them is probably Dominate. Technically, the unit is only Ld 8. With Dominate in effect, they have a ~28% chance of failing to do anything EVERY TIME they try to move/shoot/assault.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm 

Rune priest/Njal. Shut down the powers in the first place. It's not a perfect solution, but also has the benefit of being good against a flying circus.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 pm 

Competition: feed it small units and focus on objectives.

Casual: don't play anyone who brings such heartless combo-whoring to friendly play. Just my policy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Screamerstar is not a list you bring to anything but a competitive game as it straight up isn't fun to play. If you know how to play around it (kill the troops, ignore the deathstar per usual) and can at least contain the stupid thing, it really isn't that bad. But yeah, this isn't a list for a laid back game at all.

No really, on these forums I am the law. Moderators, hooooooo!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am 

That is a good thought exercise, though. "What would my list do against the Screamerstar?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I ask myself that question every time I write a list.

Screamerstar
Seer Council
3-5 Riptides
4+ Wave Serpents
Everything else

You have to have answers tot hose questions and that is a tall order. It is doable, though.

No really, on these forums I am the law. Moderators, hooooooo!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am 

Don't forget the generic response of tar pit with cc. Hard for SM but possible as well.

Proud member of Team Zero Comp

Offline Profile