It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anti skyhammer tactics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:14 am 

So now the skyhammer formation has been around a while what are peoples current strategies for dealing with it?

I've seen Reece try and deny them by null deploying.
However in my case playing pure IG/AM with no guaranteed first turn reserves (without allying some space marines) my best bet so far is deploying everything I have giving them multiple targets to deal with.
The logic being there is enough still on the table the following turn so that I can bring the pain back on those 20-40 lonely space marines close to my deployment zone.
To achieve this I need to maximize cover and shelter my more important units.

Corteaz would be another obvious choice but only useful is the deep strike close enough to you and given the assault marines can use their jump pack in both phases and even grav cannons have a 24" range there's no guarantee you'll be able to use his special ability.

What's everyone else's experiences?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anti skyhammer tactics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:56 am 

Well, I can share a perspective from the side of someone who uses it, and what I hate seeing on the other side of the table:

First of all, I wouldn't try to null/reserve out-deploy it... you're not going to get anywhere if you try to deploy as little as possible, or hide things, or risk losing because all your units die at the start just to mitigate 2 pods of Grav. The point of that formation is to kill the most it possibly can on the turn it arrives... most of the time, with reckless abandon. What you CAN do however, is use cover, especially intervening models to your advantage. You probably won't see any characters nearby with an auspex (and you can't give them night vision), and if they do commit another pod to accompany this first wave, it's a giant point-sync for getting that auspex in position... A simple intervening line of gribblies + night fighting will easily help you survive all the grav. Put a lot on the table, so that after the carnage ensues you can wipe out all the devastators.

Secondly, Objective Secured units give this formation a really hard time. Once the pods land, the units that come down nearby will probably not make it anywhere else on the board. One jetbike can beat the 900 points of this formation centered around 1 objective... don't forget that. All the models that arrive will either die or remain locked up in combat probably for a large portion of the game (not even hoping to get objectives)... so use your Objective Secured units to make the Skyhammer player choose to target your objective seekers on the drop, or dedicate the entire supporting force of their army to hunting objectives rather than, well, supporting :D

Finally, ALWAYS voluntarily go to ground if you aren't fearless when the devs shoot at you because giving the assault marines re-rolls is just not worth the chance that they'll fail the charge (unless they're an unrealistically far distance away because of scatter or something). You can choose, when shot at, to go to ground BEFORE you have to make the leadership test. Either way (pass or fail the test) you can't fire overwatch, so might as well take the re-rolls out of the equation; hey, you never know when 2 eviscerators and a vet sgt with power fist might be out there looking to get some AP2 attacks through haha!

Oh and one more thing... lots of Heldrakes... they still make marines cry :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 am 

As a fellow guard player, I find msu can make things hard on them, split all the blobs up and make them waste shots, depends on the build of the rest of the army whether that's a good idea though

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:54 am 

I'll tell you what for guard players, most people who run the Skyhammer formation run it with Grav devastators. Know what makes Grav devastators and the 2 squads of assault marines cry? 50 man blob of guard with Azreal, chaplain and melta bombs and power axes for the sargs.

Also throw in Coteaz and put him near the front just for lulls.

I hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:04 pm 

Coteaz won't do you any good. His shoot at reserves ability is effectively worthless, and I say this as someone who's used him extensively. The range is so tiny it virtually never comes into play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 am 

Chimeras, and metal boxes generally makes Skyhammer pretty worthless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:53 pm 

DarkLink wrote:
Coteaz won't do you any good. His shoot at reserves ability is effectively worthless, and I say this as someone who's used him extensively. The range is so tiny it virtually never comes into play.

Then you are doing it wrong lol

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:53 am 

Saying coteaz is bad versus that is just that u have been using him wrong the entire time.
My pal place him in an earthshaker squad giving him t7 under a void shield. He places him at front of a triangle formation then he can effectivly kill anything that removes that shield or assualt marines since they cant get close at alla if he deploys as he should nullifying the entire skyhammer. I got my ass handed to me with dual skyhammer and a cad with severin loth in a centurion pod. And ive played him many times almost impoosible to use any alpha strike army against him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am 

In my opinion, right now, the ATN night vision scope is the best you can find. Similar to other quality ATN products, it also has a recoil activated video option, which is pretty handy. As always, it will automatically start the video before the shoot is taken. The smooth zoom option will magnify the objects very nicely.

Offline Profile